Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Best Field Trip EVER

This is why it was a good idea to go to France. I don't know what anybody else's Wednesday looked like, but I skipped out of my classes to join a field trip to Mont Saint-Michel and Saint-Malo.

What does that mean?

The first part of my day I spent at Mont Saint-Michel, a fortified abbey that was built over the course of 500 years on a 300-foot hill of rock that juts out of the English channel. At high tide, it's surrounded by water. At low tide, it's surrounded by quicksand. Forget about finding a watch in the desert; if you want a natural formation to make you suspicious that some mischievous mind was planning stuff from the beginning, then this is what you're looking for.

Picture: I spent the morning at Mont Saint Michel.

The afternoon I spent in Saint-Malo, a fortified coastal city that was a center of pirate activity for a couple hundred years. This place just blew me away.

Picture: Some youngish French pirates storm Saint-Malo.

It was too big of an experience to cover in one post. More to come!

2 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

4 years actually to the day- but what's more amazing to me is that we haven't seen each other since I was in Chicago which was May of 2002- how wrong is that?

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger MJP said...

Well, let's see. It's LESS wrong than removing environmental protection from environmental protection zones, but it's MORE wrong than putting a musical scene into Return of the Jedi.

And you've got to admit that ROTJ thing is pretty wrong.

(bzzz)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home