Saturday, March 12, 2005

Live Again - Better Than Ezra

Back in my second year in college I got my heart broken. It was a pretty horrendous experience: I lost a lot of control over myself and I got monumentally caught up in my head and in my hurt. So there I was in early 1999, locked tight into my dorm room and just lost at sea-

Of course, like anyone, I had a Special Secret Breakup Song. It's what I would listen to over and over and just let all those feelings fly.

My song is called Live Again, by Better Than Ezra.
Samples (poor quality, best I could do)

I stayed far away from it for years because hearing it would always throw me right back into the same set of feelings I had during the really rough times. But I really love the song - two guitars floating in and out, playing with a gentle synth line. Excellent drumming and distortion bass. And then you have the lyrics, which are right up the alley of the heartbroken.

Just the other day I came upon BTE's live disc, and I saw it had a version of this song. Oh, me, oh, my! I impulse bought the album (thank you, iTunes), turned up the volume, and took a good listen.

I didn't quite expect to feel so uplifted. As my dad always says: forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit. It feels good to move on - to progress. This song is a good reminder of how far I've come.

So, how about you, Faithful Readers? I can't be the only person with a Special Secret Breakup Song.
Confess below the soundtracks to your heartbreak, your pining, your hope - whatever seems most important. We'll all bond; it'll be fun.

And anyone who can help me figure out how to play this song on guitar is my hero.

4 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

U2's 'One' was playing on repeat during one of those 'we need to talk' talks so I still think of him when I hear that- though not with bitterness.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger MJP said...

I'm glad it didn't ruin the song - that's one thing I can't stand. Sounds like you're in a better position these days, anyway.

Hey, isn't it your birthday?

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prison Sex by Tool. Which has some slightly odd lyrics to fit its title, but is a pretty wrenching song.

Many of their songs are like that, though.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger MJP said...

Wrenching? Without a doubt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home